Copyright © 2018, Garden Ridge Lions Club, All Rights Reserved
OFFICIAL MINUTES OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
1. The Garden Ridge Lions Club Board Meeting was held in the Lions Den on October 17, 2018. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
The following members were present:
President Mark DuBois Tail Twister Absent
1st Vice President Bill Swint Lion Tamer Absent
2nd Vice President Ray Pitzen 1 Yr Director Dick Vogt
3rd Vice President Bill Foote 1 Yr Director Larry Thompson
Secretary Jim Newbold 2 Yr Director Absent
Treasurer Mark Meyers 2 Yr Director Absent
Program Director Absent Service Chair Mandy Hagy
Imm Past President John Mitzel Mktg/Communications Absent
Lion Hunter Absent LCIF Coordinator John McCaw
Minutes: The minutes of the September 19, 2018 Lions Club Board meeting were read, a motion was made by John Mitzel to accept the minutes, the motion was seconded and approved.
The Treasurer’s Admin Report: The Admin account financial report and previous two month’s financials were discussed, a motion was made by Bill Foote to accept the Treasurer Report, and the motion was seconded and approved. (Financial reports attached)
Annual Financial Audit: The Audit report was discussed and is attached
Interim Treasurer: Lion Treasurer Mark Meyers has resigned as Treasurer, and 2nd Vice President Ray Pitzen will fill in as Interim Treasurer. Jim Newbold will make the necessary changes at LCI and First United Bank. The mailing address for the bank will be Garden Ridge Lions Club, Attn: Ray Pitzen, 19534 Creekview Oaks, Garden Ridge, TX 78266.
• Texas Lions Camp Cook-out: We are scheduled to crew a cook-out at the TLC pavilion, June 6th 2019serving at 6:30 pm; John Mitzel will Chair. (see attached)
Officer Committee Reports
Membership: Received eight new member application from Rose Rodriguez, sponsored by Ray Pitzen;
Ken Weber, Jenn Weber, Rick Shelton, Ginger Stiehler, Marva Shelton, Angela Shaner, and Jason Weber, sponsored by Larry Thompson. A motion to approve membership for all eight prospective members was made by Bill Foote; the motion was seconded and approved. Rose Rodriguez will be inducted at November 14, 2018.
• Annual Lions Picnic: The picnic has been rescheduled for Saturday November 3, 2018 at the Paul Davis Park due to the wet ground and persistent rain. See attachment
• Peace Poster Contest: Dave Heier has recommended that we award Jeanette Cook, Randolph MS student and winner of this year’s Peace Poster Contest (at the Club Level) $100.00. A motion was made by Mandy Hagy, seconded and approved to award the winner $100.00.
• Lions District 2-S3 Cabinet Meeting: Mark DuBois and Jim Newbold attended. Lions International has informed all Districts to pass on to all Lions that Texas is voting to have Hellen Keller removed from History in our schools text books. Lions can protest this through the Texas Board of Education.
• November Board Meeting: The Board Meeting scheduled for November 21, 2018 is the evening prior to Thanksgiving. The meeting has been canceled.
• Mid-Winter Conference: The District Conference is scheduled for January 26, 2019 at the San Marcos HS.
• TLC Camper Aps: Applications will be available on January 3, 2019.
• Trailer Repair: A trailer used to haul Lions gear needs repair. A motion was made by John Mitzel to approve $100 for tires and a replacement floor board; the motion was seconded and approved.
Adjourn: Mark DuBois, President, adjourned the meeting at 8 p.m.
Jim Newbold, Secretary, Garden Ridge Lions Club
2. A meeting of the Garden Ridge Lions Charities, Inc. was convened with the same officers as indicated above:
Minutes: The minutes of the September 19, 2018 Lions Charities, Inc. Board meeting were read a motion was made by Dick Vogt to accept the minutes, the motion was seconded and approved.
The Treasurer’s Charities Report: The Charities account financial report and previous two month’s financials were discussed, a motion was made by Ray Pitzen to accept the Treasurer Report, the motion was seconded and approved. (Financial report attached)
Annual Financial Audit: The Audit report was discussed and is attached
Interim Treasurer: Lion Treasurer Mark Meyers has resigned as Treasurer, and 2nd Vice President Ray Pitzen will fill in as Interim Treasurer. Jim Newbold will make the necessary changes at LCI and First United Bank. The mailing address for the bank will be Garden Ridge Lions Club, Attn: Ray Pitzen, 19534 Creekview Oaks, Garden Ridge, TX 78266. Mandy Hagy will replace Ray Pitzen as Chair for Operation Thanksgiving.
• Master Gardener Project: John Mitzel stated that the project has been delayed due to local weather conditions.
• Operation Thanksgiving: Amanda Hagy, Chair, is building a list of recipients.
• Operation Santa Claus: Bill Swint stated that Elf Louis wants toys to be picked-up by December 10, 2018. Final Delivery of toys and food baskets will be December 15, 2018.
• Diabetes Budget: Mandy Hagy made a motion to move $600.00 from the Discretionary Fund to Diabetes, motion seconded and approved.
Adjourn: Mark DuBois, President, adjourned the meeting at 8:25 p.m.
Jim Newbold, Secretary, Garden Ridge Lions Club Charities, Inc.
Garden Ridge Lions Club (Administrative)
and Garden Ridge Lions Club Charities
President, Garden Ridge Lions Club
9297 Cinchona Trail
Garden Ridge, TX 79266
2018 Audit Committee
9409 Magic Falls
Garden Ridge, TX 78266
September 30, 2018
On September 25, 2018, the Audit Committee reviewed all Garden Ridge Lions Club (Administrative) and Garden Ridge Lions Charities transactions for the Fiscal Year (July 1, 2017 to June30. 2018) All expenditures were substantiated with expense receipts and bank statements except as noted below.
a. Bank statements for the period of July 1 – Dec 31, 2017 were unavailable for review.
b. Donations to charitable organizations may or may not have receipts.
c. The following Charity Account transactions in fiscal year 2017 were detailed in bank records but were not substantiated with receipts:
1) Check # 1548 for $300, listed as “Best Buy” (Raffle prizes?)
2) Check # 1549 for $399, listed as “Best Buy” (Raffle prizes?)
3) Check # 1558 for $400, listed as “City of Garden Ridge“, “Rent”
4) Check # 1568 for $750, listed as “Auctioneer” (Fish Fry, BBQ & Auction)
5) Check # 1576 for $200, listed as “Ron Eberhardt” “For Police” (Fish Fry, BBQ & Auction)
6) Check # 1585 for $6,930, Listed as “Texas Lions Camp (100%)”
7) Check # 1587 for $979, Listed as “Bill Swint” “Thanksgiving”
8) Check # 1588 for $3,220.23, Listed as “Mark DuBois” “Christmas”
9) Check # 1595 for $979, Listed as “American Legion” “Girls State”
d. The following Administrative Account transactions in fiscal year 2017 were detailed in bank records but were not substantiated with receipts
1) Check # 1851 for $450, listed as “Transfer $ from FFB&A to Charity”
2) Check # 1853 for $1,035.09, listed as “FFB&A Raffle Tx Paid to Club Acct first”
3) Check # 1889 for $34.68, listed as “Mike Shands, Tail Twister”
4) Check # 1902 for $450, listed as “Circle G Catering”
5) Check # 1907 for $382.82, listed as “Lions Int Dues/Supplies”
e. Although the Audit Committee does not believe there were any unauthorized or misused funds, issues could arise in the future when complete records are not maintained.
a) Continue to ensure all expenditures are budget approved and purchasers are aware of budget limits.
b) Ensure authorized expenditures are from the correct account (i.e.; Charity or Admin).
c) Require more specific explanation on requests for reimbursement.
d) Do not issue checks to “Cash”.
e) Establish a required annual financial audit based on our July 1 thru June 30 fiscal year.
f) Mark each receipt with the corresponding check number and file according that check number. This prevents having to search for support document.
g) In reference to 1(e) above, the committee recommends when any funds are disbursed to any person or entity (i.e. a policeman for FFBBQ security, the choir etc etc) a simple hand receipt is obtained from that person or entity. This will substantiate the outlay of funds and create a clear audit trail.
3. In summary, the Audit Committee found the Garden Ridge Lions Club financials for the period of the audit to be in good standing with the records adequately maintained and documented.
Richard Vogt Jim Morgan
Club Director Club Director