Copyright © 2007, Garden Ridge Lions Club, All Rights Reserved
Board Minutes are provided for the last month. If you require additional information, please contact our Secretary Jim Newbold.
OFFICIAL MINUTES OF SPECIAL BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
1. The Garden Ridge Lions Club Board Meeting was held in the Lions Den on April 19, 2017. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
The following members were present: President Carmen McCaw, Tail Twister Ray Pitzen, 1st Vice President John Mitzel, Lion Tamer Larry Smedley, 2nd Vice President Mark DuBois, 1 Yr Director Jim Young, 3rd Vice President Bill Swint, 1 Yr Director Larry Thompson, Secretary Jim Newbold, 2 Yr Director Jim Morgan, Treasurer Mark Meyers, 2 Yr Director John McCaw, Imm Past President Larry Steele, Lion Hunter Bill Foote
Minutes: The minutes of the March 15, 2017 Lions Club Board meeting were read. A motion was made by Larry Steele to approve, and the motion was second and approved.
The Treasurer’s Admin Report: The Admin account financial report and previous month’s financials were discussed, a motion was made by Larry Steele to approve, and the motion was second and approved. (Financial report attached)
• We received a letter from the IRS notifying us that the Garden Ridge Lions Club has not filed the appropriate tax forms for the June 30, 2016 tax year. Mark Meyers will work this situation.
Officer Committee Reports
Membership: We have two members, in good standing, who have requested that they be dropped from membership: A motion was made by Jim Young, and seconded to drop Phil Andrews and Larry Browder in good standing.
• Lions Den Flooring: New flooring to be installed at the Lions Den Saturday, April 22nd. John McCaw has purchased the new flooring.
• Blazers: A Blazerser were once again discussed. Larry Thompson will get the sample information to Ray Pitzen and Ray will report back to the Board.
• Catering: A suggestion was made by Bill Swint to have the Lions Club select 6-8 dinner combinations that can be rotated through meetings. Carmen will discuss this with Dotti.
• Lion Emblems: The road sign Lion Emblems that are displayed by Lions Clubs at city entrances were discussed. John will research this issue and report back to the club.
• Membership: With declining membership, a plan to recruit new members and maintain current members was discussed. Bill Foote will draft a new plan.
Adjourn: Carmen McCaw, President, adjourned the meeting at 7:42p.m.
2. A meeting of the Garden Ridge Lions Charities, Inc. was convened with the same officers as indicated above:
Minutes: The minutes of the March 15, 2017 Lions Charities, Inc. Board meeting were read. A motion was made by Jim Young to approve, the motion was second and approved.
The Treasurer’s Charities Report: The Charities account financial report and previous month’s financials were discussed, a motion was made by Larry Thompson to approve, and the motion was second and approved. (Financial report attached)
• We received a letter from Girls State chairman. There will be an orientation meeting on Monday, May 8th at 6:30pm at NB Christian Church. Mark Meyers and Carmen will attend.
• Received a thank you from Linda Crosland, City of Garden Ridge Library, for our $243 contribution supporting the purchase of the Lone Star Books series.
• Received an RSVP invitation to the Annual Resources for Women Fundraising Dinner and Auction, May 4, 2017. Carmen will RSVP “non-attendance.”
• Received an RSVP invitation to the New Braunfels Evening Lions Club 50th Anniversary Banquet, May 6, 2017. Information was E-mailed to all Garden Ridge members.
• Received a donation request from Lion John Creswell, Past President, New Braunfels Noon Lions Club to support Alzheimer’s Association.
• Received a letter from the IRS notifying us that the Garden Ridge Lions Club Charities has not filed the appropriate tax forms for the June 30, 2016 tax year. Mark Meyers will work this situation.
• Received a list of twelve selected scholarship recipients from the scholarship committee, chaired by Laura Ochoa. This list needs to be Board approved.
• Donor Tracking: Mike and Tonya Heath will replace Jim Morgan.
• Request for Hearing Aid: The recipient received the $250 for a loaner hearing aid.
• Scholarships: Jim Newbold made a motion to approve the twelve students the committee selected. The motion was seconded, discussed and approved. Mark Meyers will write the twelve checks and Jim Newbold will print the certificates to be presented to the recipients at our regular club meeting on April 26, 2017. The scholarship recipients are Jordan Douglas, Dustin Helton, Taylor Hencshel, Anna Long, Sarah Moberley, Alessandro Preda, Claire Therese Rosales, Sydney Marie Rubey, Shelby Marie Steinbach, Caitlyn Strickland, Jacob Sturman, and Christopher Toudouze.
• Doris Dollar: John Mitzel received a request to nominate Doris Dollar for a community service award through her company, LPL Financial.
Adjourn: Carmen McCaw, President, adjourned the meeting at 8:10p.m