Copyright © 2007, Garden Ridge Lions Club, All Rights Reserved
1. The Garden Ridge Lions Club Board Meeting was held in the Lions Den on November 15, 2017. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
The following members were present:President John Mitzel Tail Twister Mike Shands, 2nd Vice President Bill Swint 1 Yr Director Larry Thompson, 3rd Vice President Ray Pitzen 2 Yr Director Dick Vogt, Secretary Jim Newbold Imm Past President Carmen McCaw, Treasurer Mark Meyers Program Director Mark Frye
Minutes: The minutes of the October 18, 2017 Lions Club Board meeting were read, a motion was made by Dick Vogt to except the minutes, the motion was seconded and approved.
The Treasurer’s Admin Report: The Admin account financial report and previous month’s financials were discussed, a motion was made by Ray Pitzen to except the Treasurer Report, and the motion was seconded and approved.
Officer Committee Reports
• Lions-Emblem Road Signs: John McCaw stated that our current signs do not meet TxDOT specifications. We need to know if reflective decals purchased and placed on our current signs will meet their specifications.
• Table Cloth Banner: John McCaw is working on the size needed for the banner before getting the work done.
• Meeting Location: We discussed City Council’s allowing us use of the Community Center for membership meetings. They are currently determining the status of various users to come up with a price plan for each type of user. Various fees are also being considered. We will be able to consider use of this location for meetings when this information is available. Our current contract runs out in December, 2017; however, we have been told by Chrissy we can continue use of The Club at Garden Ridge without a contract.
• Member Induction: Cammie Cannon is scheduled for Induction at our Christmas meeting.
• Board Meeting: The Board for the Lions Club and Lions Charities will not meet in December.
• Club October Picnic: The picnic was well under budget due to left-over beverages from the FF&A and Lion Mark Meyers volunteering to cook.
• Road Clean-up: Road Clean-up will be held December 9, 2017 at 8:00 am; meet at Paul Davis Park. We will reconnoiter Operation Santa Claus addresses immediately following.
Adjourn: John Mitzel, President, adjourned the meeting at 7:22 p.m.
Jim Newbold, Secretary, Garden Ridge Lions Club
2. A meeting of the Garden Ridge Lions Charities, Inc. was convened with the same officers as indicated above:
Minutes: The minutes of the October 18, 2017 Lions Charities, Inc. Board meeting were read a motion was made by Mike Shands to except the minutes, the motion was seconded and approved.
The Treasurer’s Charities Report: The Charities account financial report and previous month’s financials were discussed, a motion was made by Dick Vogt to except the Treasurer Report, the motion was seconded and approved. IRS Form 990 has been completed and mailed.
• FOTCOH (Friends of the Children of Haiti): We received a brochure requesting financial support.
• Hope Hospice: Received a thank you letter and receipt for our $2,000.00 donation, and a brochure on Hope Hospice news.
• Operation Thanksgiving: We will pick up groceries from H.E.B. on Friday, November 17, 2017 and deliver food baskets to needy families on Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:00 am from the Community Center. We discussed how we get the names of needy families.
• Operation Santa Claus: We discussed holding recon from the park immediately following road clean-up.
• Donor/Sponsor Dinner: We discussed the possibility of hosting a FF&A Donor/Sponsor Thank You Dinner. Donor & sponsor levels for invitations were discussed; we want to formally thank them for their donation. John Mitzel made a motion that the level of giving for an invitation be set at $400.00 and to hold the dinner at the March 14 & 28, 2018 meetings (either date to give the donor/sponsor a choice). The motion was seconded and approved.
• Sutherland Springs: Item was discussed and decided that no motion was necessary at this time.
• Christmas for Aransas County: We discussed donating money for the cities of Aransas County, Texas who were effected by Hurricane Harvey to purchase Christmas presents. Not enough information is available in order to make a motion at this time. President John Mitzel will send out an E-mail with a motion for Board members to vote on when all the necessary info is available.
Adjourn: John Mitzel, President, adjourned the meeting at 8:04 p.m.
Jim Newbold, Secretary, Garden Ridge Lions Club Charities, Inc.