OFFICIAL MINUTES OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
1. The Garden Ridge Lions Club Board Meeting was held in the Lions Den on January 16, 2019. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
The following members were present: 1st Vice President Bill Swint, Tail Twister Noelle Czerniak,
2nd Vice President Ray Pitzen, 1 Yr Director Dick Vogt, 3rd Vice President Bill Foote .1 Yr Director Larry Thompson, Secretary Jim Newbold, 2 Yr Director Jim Morgan, Acting Treasurer Ray Pitzen, 2 Yr Director Larry Smedley, Program Director Mark Frye, Service Chair Mandy Hagy, Imm Past President, LCIF Coordinator John McCaw Secretary
ACTION Minutes: The minutes of the December19, 2018 Lions Club Board meeting were read; a motion was made by Ray Pitzen to accept the minutes, the motion was seconded and approved. Treasurer
ACTION Treasurer’s Admin Report: The Admin December Actual financials were reviewed and discussed, a motion was made by Larry Thompson to accept the Treasurer Report, and the motion was seconded and approved. (Admin December Financials attached)Correspondence
• None Officer Committee Reports
• REPORT Membership: Ray Pitzen reported on new member status of Rose Rodriguez, sponsored by Ray Pitzen. She is conferring with her husband upon his return from overseas. There was no report on new member ap for Melinda Cruz-Balderas.
• ACTION New Member Ap: Received a new member application for Tara L. Brown, sponsored by Mandy Hagy. A motion was made by Ray Pitzen, seconded and approved to induct Tara on January 23, 2019. She will be the LEO Advisor for the new Grace Prep Middle and High School.Old Business
• REPORT Mid-Winter Conference & Cabinet Meeting: Scheduled for Saturday, January 26, 2019 at San Marcos HS. Jim Newbold has sent in registration for Bill Swint, Jim Newbold and Ray and Pam Pitzen.
• REPORT Christmas Party: Dick Vogt reported different ideas for celebrating our Christmas. He also discussed different alternatives for meal planning on a quarterly basis.New Business
• REPORT Victoria Speakmon: Recognition for Victoria Speakmon, Operation Santa Claus. A certificate of Appreciation will be framed and presented to Victoria.
• REPORT Leo Club Formation: Mandy Hagy reported that Tara Brown will be the LEO Advisor for Grace Academy MS/HS. Tara and Mandy are in the process of submitting the LEO Club Charter application.
Adjourn: Bill Swint, Acting President, adjourned the meeting at 7:19 p.m.
Jim Newbold, Secretary, Garden Ridge Lions Club 2. A meeting of the Garden Ridge Lions Charities, Inc. was convened with the same officers as indicated above:Secretary
ACTION Minutes: The minutes of the December 19, 2018 Lions Charities, Inc. Board meeting were read; a motion was made by Dick Vogt to accept the minutes, the motion was seconded and approved. Treasurer
REPORT Treasurer’s Charities Report: The Charities Budget and December Actual financials were reviewed and discussed. The Treasurer Report was TABLED DEFINITELY. (Financial Charities One Page Budget & November Financials attached)
ACTION Rejected IRS Form 990ez: Ray Pitzen has completed the IRS forms and will put them in the mail. Correspondence
• City of Garden Ridge Projects – Dick Holloway presented two service projects requested by the City (see attached)
o ACTION Paul Davis Park: Mandy Hagy made a motion to accept the paver project, the motion was seconded and APPROVED. Dick Holloway and Mandy Hagy will Co-Chair.
o REPORT Refurbish Barrel Cars: Due Diligence regarding the future ownership of the barrel cars was discussed. We can do the cleaning, repair and painting. Ray Pitzen will look into liability if we end up owning the barrel cars. This project is TABLED until we can get the liability answers.
• Received a Thank You letter from the City of Garden Ridge for our participation in the Christmas Tree Lighting.
• Received a Thank You letter from Randolph-Brooks FCU, Operation Santa Claus donation.Old Business
• ACTION Circle of Cancer Care: Mandy Hagy requested a donation for the Circle of Cancer Care organization (see attached). Larry Smedley made a motion that we make a $500.00 donation, the motion was seconded and approved. (file attached)
• ACTION TEAMability: Noelle Czerniak requested a $3,000.00 donation for this San Antonio organization’s mission. Jim Morgan made a motion that we make a $1,000.00 donation, the motion was seconded and approved. (file attached) TEAMability could be considered for further donation towards the end of this budget cycle.
• REPORT Lone Star Lions Eye Bank LSLEB: Ray Pitzen will send a check to the LSLEB for their previously approved request of $1,000.
• ACTION HOPE Hospice: The Annual Tree of Lights fundraiser; we budgeted $2,000 for this charity, Jim Newbold will get with HOPE Hospice for the presentation.
• ACTION CASA of Central Texas: Requested a donation; this item has a budget amount of $500.00. Noelle Czerniak will get with CASA for the presentation at our next membership meeting.New Business
• ACTION Days for Girls: Mandy Hagy reported on Days for Girls. (file attached) A motion was made by Larry Thompson to donate $500.00, the motion was seconded and approved.
• REPORT Elf Louis: Bill Swint discussed a monetary gift to Elf Louis. A donation to Elf Louis was recommended for next year’s budget.
• REPORT Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday Committee: Bill Swint discussed using the same families for both Operation Thanksgiving and Operation Santa Claus. Bill Swint will research the impact on our budget and report back to the Board.
• REPORT Request for Donation Process: Bill Swint discussed a new process for requesting a donation and the policy on handling donations, funding requests and reimbursements. Mandy Hagy and Noelle Czerniak will Co-Chair a committee to fine tune the attached Donation Request and attached policy on handling donations.
• ACTION Homes for our Troops: Larry Thompson discussed a new home being built in Garden Ridge (Trophy Oaks) for one of our troops. (Sgt LisaMarie Wiley, flyer attached) A motion was made by Larry Smedley to donate $500 in support of landscaping her property, Lions will do the hands-on work, the motion was seconded and approved.
Adjourn: Bill Swint, Acting President, adjourned the meeting at 9:00 p.m.
Jim Newbold, Secretary, Garden Ridge Lions Club Charities, Inc.